Frequently Asked Questions
How to get the most out of using Knitting Freedom
We've tried to make Knitting Freedom the premier resource for finding interesting and exciting links to all things knitting related.
On this page you can find helpful tips and information for getting the most out of Knitting Freedom.
There are a number of helpful tools attached to every link that allow you to read and add comments, rate links and add tags to help other Knitting Freedom users to quickly locate the best links and email links to your friends.
- How do I use Knitting Freedom's links tools?
- How do I look for free knitting patterns, tutorials and projects?
- How do I use the search function?
- How do I choose how results are sorted?
- Are all the links relevant?
- Are all the links live?
- What if Knitting Freedom is missing a link?
- What is RSS?
How do I use Knitting Freedom's links tools?
Registered Knitting Freedom members have a number of tools available that they can use to make Knitting Freedom the perfect way for finding and saving the best crochet related links on the web.
- Link Name: This will briefly describe the contents of the page linked to. Remember that the color of the box is coded - you'll find the key of link types above the list links and at the bottom of the page.
- Open in New Window/Tab: You can click this if you prefer to open new pages in a new window or tab (depends on your browser settings).
- Description: Some links will have a brief description to help clarify the subject or to mention other points of interest.
- Tags: Some links have tags. These can be used to add further descriptions to links which can help users when using the search. Registered users can add tags to help others to find links, but there is a limit of 60 letters for tags.
- Comments: If any registered Knitting Freedom Members have commented on a link, their comments can be viewed by clicking here. The number of comments is displayed in the speech bubble.
- Email a Friend: You can click on this to send an email to a friend to tell them about a link you have found on Knitting Freedom. Please note that if you are not signed-in, this link will open your email program. If you are signed in, you can send an email directly from Knitting Freedom.
- Ratings: Registered Knitting Freedom Members can rate links and the average ratings score is displayed here.
- Rate a Link: Registered Knitting Freedom Members can click here and rate the specific link.
- Comment on a Link: Registered Knitting Freedom Members can click here and write a comment on the specific link.
- Add to Favourites: Registered Knitting Freedom Members can click here and add a link to their list of favorites. If there is a small minus sign on a red disc, that link is already saved as a favorite and clicking the button will remove the link from the favorites. Saved favorites can be viewed by clicking the My Page button at the top of the page.
- Add Tags: Registered Knitting Freedom Members can click here and add tags to a link. Please keep tags relevant and to the point.
- Personal Notes: Registered Knitting Freedom Members can click here and write persoanl notes about the specific link. These notes are automatically saved as they are written and they are private, so they cannot be viewed by other users.
- Problem With Linked Page: A graphic like this will only appear on a link where there has been a problem recently opening the page. There is a specific FAQ that explains the links status system.
- Report This Link: If you there is a problem with a page that we link to or you think we've got an inaccuracy in our description, you can click on this button to let us know about problems.
How do I look for free knitting patterns, tutorials and projects?
To find the perfect knitting pattern or project, simply either choose from one of the many categories at the LEFT of the page. Here you'll find a whole range of patterns, tutorials and projects.
How do I use the search function?
If you are after something more specific use the SEARCH function. We've tried to make the search as easy as possible by applying key words and tags to each entry. So if you are looking, for instance, for knitting projects using 'ribbon' embellishments, just type in 'ribbon' into the search box and results will be returned from each category.
We're always keen to hear from our users, so do let us know if you think the search could be enhanced and how you would like it to work.
How do I choose how links are sorted?
Links are automatically returned in date order, with the links most recently listed shown at the top. However, if you prefer to sort the results alphabetically press the 'Order Links Alphabetically' links that appear above and below the lists of links. Please note that if there are more than one page of links and you aren't viewing the first page, you will be returned the first page.
Are all the links relevant?
Every link has been visited and checked personally by us and checked that the sewing pattern or project is relevant to our site.
Are all the links live?
We know how frustrating it is to find page after page of dead or broken links. That's why we check all the links on Knitting Freedom every 24 hours!
If we find a link is unavailable, we add a green light graphic to it so that users know that it was recently unavailable. We then recheck the link 12 hours later and if the link is functioning again, the green light is removed.
If, however, the link is still not available, we change it to an amber light. It is then checked 12 hours later and if still unavailable, it will be changed to a red light.
If the link is still not working 12 hours later it is removed from Knitting Freedom. This way we ensure that links are not removed just because of a temporary error, but that our users are aware of links that may no longer be working.
What if Knitting Freedom is missing a link?
We've spent many happy hours trawling the internet looking for great knitting patterns and information, however we know that there are still plenty of pages we've not found yet. Please let us know via the 'Suggest a Link' page of any useful web pages we should be including - or get in touch using the form box on the 'Contact Us' page.
What is RSS?
If you wish to be kept informed of the latest update to the site subscribe to the RSS feed at the top left hand side of the page. Please click here to find out a bit more about what RSS is.